Monday, August 13, 2012

Cars from TV and the Movies!

Cars from TV and the Movies

   For many of us, the cars we have seen in the movies or in our living room on the TV is what started our love affair with the automobile. Watching Steve McQueen rip around town in a green Mustang in the movie "Bullitt", or seeing KITT from "Knight Rider" perform daring feats of awesomeness... Anyway, here is a list of some of my favorite vehicles from TV and the movies. What cars or vehicles would you add?

Who remembers Richard's ill fated ride in the movie "Tommy Boy"? In the begining of the movie the 1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX was a beautiful muscle car. By the end of the movie... it was a custom p.o.s.






How about the "Mirth Mobile" from "Wayne's World"? The "Wayne's World" movies almost made the 1976 AMC Pacer a wanted car. Almost...








The Griswald's were riding in style in the Family Truckster from "National Lampoon's Vacation". It had every option you could want and even more that you didn't. What was that color called again? Metallic Pea?! Eugene Levy himself exclaimed "This is a damn fine automobile..." The Truckster was actually a modified Ford LTD Country Squire.







Why this car's automatic, it's systamatic it's hydromatic; Why it's Greased Lightning! Who could forget the 1948 Ford DeLuxe from "Greased Lightning"?







One of my favorite movie cars ever had a bit of a mean/jealous streak. "Christine" was a 1958 Plymouth Fury. I don't care what kind of car it is... if it has chrome and large fins, I think of "Christine".








"Eleanor" was Nick Cage's "unicorn" in the remake of "Gone in 60 Seconds". She was a modified 1967 Shelby Mustang GT 500. I absolutly love that car!








Na na na na na na na BATMAN! Wasn't that original Batmobile crazy looking?! It was actually a modified 1954 Lincoln Futura. "POW!" "WHAMMO!"











Was there a cooler cop car than the 1976 Ford Gran Torino in "Starsky & Hutch"? Show of hands, how many people ever tried to jump up and slide across the hood of their car? I failed with a dented hood and ripped jeans...









When I was just a kid, watching Burt Reynolds in the "Smokey and the Bandit" movies defined cool. I was a much older kid before I even realized that they made that 1977 Pontiac Trans Am in colors other than black and gold.








In my mind, still one of the best chase scenes ever caught on film, "Bullitt" was and is king. No matter how many times I see it, I don't even want to blink. Does anyone know if Steve McQueen did his own driving in that green 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390 Fastback?





Yeeeehaww! This list would just be silly if I didn't include the General Lee! The "Dukes of Hazzard" was such an entertaining show it was even resurected on the silver screen. The orange 1969 Dodge Charger with the rebel flag will live forever!








If my calculations are correct; when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you are going to see some serious s***! Maybe the most famous movie car of all time, the 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 from "Back to the Future" HAS to be on this list.








Who can forget the adorable "Herbie"?! The loveable 1963 Volkswagen Beetle. Like "Christine", I think Herbie was possessed. He seems to have a more gentle disposition though. :)












I used to watch "Knight Rider" all the time when I was a kid. Remember how far into the future KITT seemed? Now we talk to our cars and give voice commands and think nothing of it. That's some space-aged technology though for a 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.








I love the white 1070 Dodge Challenger from the movies "Vanishing Point" and "Death Proof". I wonder how many times movies have used the same model as a feature car?










There are a ton more cars that should be added to this list. It could go on and on forever! What cars or vehicles would be on your list? Be sure to add them in the comments, I'm very curious to see what I may have over looked. I have a few in my mind already...

-TW

No comments:

Post a Comment